Monday, July 15, 2013

You Know You're in Asia When...

Pop music is ubiquitous in Asia...Christmas carols in coffee shops in July, Bryan Adams ballads serenade you as you try on shoes, Canto-pop/K-pop elevator music, Debbie Gibson karaoke...all daily occurrences. In the Philippines, it seems that covers are all the rage...I've heard more covers in the past week than 8track can swing a bat at. Apparently, no pop song is unworthy of a cover, as I have even heard a cover of a Jennifer Love Hewitt song, circa 1996, which I probably shouldn't be admitting to having recognized, but whatever. In any case, it seems that the soundtrack to my time in the Philippines will be a nostalgic mix of the greatest hits from the late 90s/early 2000s...

A hop, skip and jump later, I've made it to Naga Town City! After three nights in Manila, Naga's greenery, cleanliness and relatively tame traffic were all a welcome change. I didn't have much time to see Manila, but was able to get out for a walking tour of Manila's Chinatown, which I learned is the world's oldest. After hotel living for the past week, I'll be moving into my permanent digs in Naga today. Once I'm set up, these blog posts should be a bit more frequent. 


A few snapshots from Manila:

En Route from Hong Kong

Surprisingly close to Manila...misleadingly green

Manila

Manila Sunset

Quiapo Church had a train station-like vibe to it...lots of coming and going, pigeons and people sitting on benches

No comments:

Post a Comment