It turns out that I didn't have to wait to get to the Philippines to get a taste of walking through flood water. 16 hours before my flight was due to leave Pearson airport, a massive storm unleashed on Toronto, knocking out power and leaving behind massive floods. If I was feeling any nerves or anxiety about the months to come, they were completely replaced with preoccupation over whether or not I'd be able to get to the airport on Tuesday morning and even if I did, would there be a flight for me to catch? Reports the night before were grim, with the TTC down, advisories of massive flight cancellations and Pearson's own website down due to flooding in a server room. It was a bit of a white knuckle morning, with parts of the TTC still out of service and the airport was a bit of a zoo, but in the end I made it to the gate with time to get an overpriced cup of coffee and post a status update on FB.
I'm now 10 hours into the 15 hour flight to Hong Kong. According to the map, it looks like we're flying somewhere over Russia right now. I'm beginning to feel a little bit antsy….I've watched four movies, can't focus on reading anything interesting and am beginning to feel the fatigue set in. I'm excited to get to Hong Kong. It'll be a very short stop (1 night), but it'll be just enough time to see my grandmother (yay!), have a couple of good meals and recover in time to catch the little puddle hopper to Manila on Thursday morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment