Monday, November 25, 2013

The Worst Neighbours Ever

A funny thing happened the other day when I was speaking with my sister via Skype: halfway through the conversation, she interrupted me and asked, 'is that a rooster?' Indeed, my next door neighbours are very big into cockfighting (it's a huge deal in the PH), and have a collection of roosters they keep in their front yard. Let it be known that neighbours who keep roosters in the front yard are the worst kind of neighbour possible, as it is a massive misconception that roosters only crow at dawn. Roosters will crow whenever they want attention, which apparently in the case of my neighbours' flock, is all the time. I spent the first few months of my time here actively despising my neighbours, sleeping with earplugs and imagining the satisfaction that would come from abducting the birds in the middle of the night and dropping them off at KFC. Anyhow, coming back to the Skype conversation with my sister, I was amazed when she asked about the rooster, as a) I couldn't believe that the mic on my laptop had picked it up; and b) I realized that I had become so accustomed to hearing it had become almost a white noise. The first time I mentioned how annoying I found the roosters to be to my Filipino friends and colleagues, they all laughed and said that I would eventually stop noticing them...it turns out they were right. 


The source of many (unhappy) sleepless nights during my first couple of months in Naga

No comments:

Post a Comment