Monday, October 21, 2013

A Walk Around Retro Naga

One of my favourite things to do in Naga is to walk around with my camera and just shoot whatever catches my eye. The freedom of digital photography still amazes me...the limitless ability to take multiple shots of the same thing, hoping that at least one will turn out right, is incredibly liberating. It really wasn't that long ago (maybe six or seven years) that I was still lugging around upwards of 40 rolls of film with me on my travels and begging security guards to hand inspect my film instead of sending it through the X-ray machine (not always a successful endeavour, and one where a dozen victories early in a trip could be nullified by one grumpy guard at the end). 

Anyhow, my photo walks around Naga continue to reveal new things to me each time. On my latest walkabout around the slightly gritty centro district this past weekend, I was struck by the decidedly retro feel of much of the area. 



Tricycle decoration -- I love everything about this...the colours, the design, the subject matter...to my eye, it seems to be straight out of the 1940s


The old signage for one of my favourite restaurants in Naga


Its new signage, which I find lacks the character and charm of the original



I think this is my favourite sign in all of Naga -- it speaks volumes about many aspects of life here


Automobiles come in rather unusual colours here -- varying shades of pink and green are very popular. This is the first orange VW I've seen, and I'm loving the vintage vibe 




While Canada's The Bay has gone back to its roots as Hudson's Bay Company (a rather impressive exercise in rebranding, I must say), it seems that Sampaguita Department Store never got out of the 1960s




Speaking of retro -- the menu board at Naga City's oldest Chinese restaurant, which is aptly named New China Restaurant. There seems to be nothing Chinese on the menu, but I'm not complaining.


Interior of New China -- I am in love with the tiling


Jollibee is a major national fast food chain that I have zero affection for (in all fairness, I've never patronized it, and have no plans to), but this seems to be one of the rare buildings in Naga that has a name and year of establishment readily visible

No comments:

Post a Comment