Saturday, September 21, 2013

My First Fiesta: Part 2

After more than a week of crazy fiesta-related activities, the Penafrancia reached its climax yesterday with a fluvial procession that brought the image of Ina, the patroness of Bicol, back to the Basilica Minore. When I went to witness the overland procession a week ago, it was at ground level, literally inches away from the action. This time around, thanks to a combination of good friends and good luck, I scored a bird's-eye view of the action. The volume of the crowd, both in terms of numbers and noise, was truly impressive. My host also pointed out that you could literally smell the crowd (it was very aromatic, to say the least) and feel the heat it generated. 

The fluvial procession was followed by an evening mass at the Basilica Minore. The thing that never ceases to amaze me about the Catholic Church is the fact that no matter where you are in the world, no matter what language a mass is said in, there is something about the rituals and ceremony that are immediately familiar and recognizable. I find it ponderable that the Church has managed to penetrate cultures around the world without having compromised on form or substance.  



The Penafrancia Fiesta 2013 edition, brought to you by Coca Cola!


The men who escort the image are called 'voyadores'


The people on the rooftop were throwing confetti and water down on the crowd -- the water is apparently a welcome relief to the very thirsty voyadores below


Evening mass at the Basilica Minore -- lots and lots of candles everywhere...I'm pretty sure half of the church's lawn was set on fire.


The crazy amazing heritage house I got to watch the crowds from. Please note the furniture that matches the walls, the enormous fork and the white elephant!

No comments:

Post a Comment