Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Snapshots Around Naga, Part One

I often forget to bring my little pocket-sized camera with me when I leave home in the morning, which is a shame because the days when I forget it at home tend to be the days when I see something I want to document. Today was one of the rare days when I remembered to tuck it in my bag, and below are a few snapshots from the day...no works of art here, but a little window into life in Naga:


This gentleman is regularly parked in his hammock steps away from my office...he's officially my favourite Nagueno


A little chapel down the street from my home, located directly across from a hotel that will rent rooms out by the hour


Salt and chili meant to be served on ninja mangoes...okay, okay, they're not actually called ninja mangoes, but I couldn't quite catch what the vendor called them, and I wasn't going to ask him to repeat a fourth time. In any case, this reminds me quite a bit of street fruit in Mexico City, similarly served with salt, chili and lime juice


I'm fairly certain that there's nothing Bavarian about this...not even the turban and definitely not the kid


Fried chicken should always be sold with a leather jacket, a seductive gaze and extra strength hair mousse


Standard window decoration in Nagueno vehicles



It's a short work week here in the Philippines, as Friday is a holiday in honour of Eid'l Fitr, the end of Ramadan. Being the model employee that I am, I've opted to shorten the work week just a little more and am taking Thursday off to go climb Mt. Isarog, a nearby dormant (!) volcano, with a Canadian colleague who is visiting from Manila for the weekend. I'm calling it a work outing in order to familiarize myself with the tourism infrastructure in the region -- not exactly untrue, but kind of a stretch. I'll be heading to Calaguas, a set of virgin-esque islands a couple of hours away from Naga, for the long weekend and will hopefully have zero tales of seasickness but many photos of paradise on my return! 


No comments:

Post a Comment